Favorite Recipe: Pumpkin Coconut-Ginger Soup
CREAMY PUMPKIN SOUP FULL OF BETA-CAROTENE.
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 medium onion chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 (3-inch) knob ginger, peeled and chopped
2 whole scallions, chopped, plus more for garnish
2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme, or 2 teaspoons dried
2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
2 to 4 cups water, plus more as needed
2 pounds pumpkin or butternut squash, diced
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon curry powder
Scotch bonnet or habanero pepper, seeded and minced
1 teaspoon Himalayan sea salt
Ground black pepper
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Heat a large, deep frying pan over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the coconut oil and swirl to evenly coat the pan.
- Sauté the onions for 13 to 15 minutes, until golden brown, then add the garlic, ginger, scallions, and thyme. Cook for 5 minutes more.
- Add the coconut milk, plus 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil.
- Stir in the pumpkin, coriander, cumin, curry powder, and Scotch bonnet to taste. Cook until the pumpkin is soft, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Season with the salt and pepper, remove from the heat, and let cool.
- In batches, blend the soup and the nutritional yeast in high-speed blender until smooth, adding more water if necessary.
- Return the soup to the pan and cook over medium-low heat for 8 to 10 minutes, until hot.
- Garnish with the additional scallions and serve.
Makes 4 Servings
Adapted from sharonfeanny.com
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.