Favorite Recipe – Sweet Potato & Black Bean Chili
1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 large sweet potato, scrubbed, diced (leave peel for extra nutrients and flavor)
1 large onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons chili powder
4 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle chile (or, I use 1T adobo sauce)
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups water
2 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed
1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add sweet potato and onion and cook, stirring often, until the onion is beginning to soften, about 4 minutes.
- Add garlic, chili powder, cumin, chipotle and salt and cook, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds.
- Add water and bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook until the sweet potato is tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Add beans and tomatoes; increase heat to high and return to a simmer, stirring often.
- Reduce heat and simmer until slightly reduced, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro.
Makes 4 Servings
Adapted from Eating Well
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.